In the unfortunate event of a truck accident involving pedestrians or cyclists, understanding the legal rights and options available is crucial. Truck accidents can result in severe injuries, and victims deserve compensation for their physical, emotional, and financial losses. A truck accident lawyer with our friends at Ted A. Greve & Associates has provided this handy breakdown of legal options for both pedestrians and cyclists involved in truck accidents:
The Severity Of Truck-Pedestrian And Truck-Cyclist Accidents
Truck accidents involving pedestrians and cyclists can be devastating due to the stark size and weight difference between a commercial truck and a vulnerable road user. The consequences often include:
– Severe injuries, including fractures, head trauma, and spinal cord injuries
– Long-term medical treatment and rehabilitation
– Emotional trauma and post-traumatic stress
– Loss of income and earning capacity
– Pain and suffering
One of the first steps after a truck-pedestrian or truck-cyclist accident should be seeking legal representation. A skilled lawyer specializes in handling complex cases like these and can help you navigate the legal process effectively.
Understanding Liability In Truck Accidents
Liability may fall on various parties, including:
- Truck Driver: If the truck driver’s negligence or recklessness led to the accident, they may be held liable for the injuries and damages.
- Trucking Company: The company that owns the truck may also be liable if they failed to maintain the vehicle properly, enforce safety regulations, or hire competent drivers. Companies can also be held liable if it can be proven they were pushing unreasonable deadlines on their drivers thereby causing them to drive recklessly.
- Third Parties: Other parties, such as maintenance contractors, may share liability if their actions contributed to the accident.
Legal Rights Of Pedestrians And Cyclists
Pedestrians have the right to use roadways and crosswalks safely. If a truck driver fails to yield the right of way, speeds through a crosswalk, or ignores traffic signals, they may be held accountable for the injuries caused to pedestrians.
Cyclists are also considered vulnerable road users, and truck drivers have a duty to exercise extreme caution when sharing the road with them. Cyclists have the right to:
– Use bike lanes and designated cycling areas
– Be given adequate space and consideration by drivers
– Not be subjected to aggressive or dangerous driving behaviors by truck drivers
Negotiating With Insurance Companies
Insurance companies involved in truck accident claims often aim to minimize payouts. It’s essential to have a skilled attorney who can negotiate on your behalf and ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses. If negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance company do not result in a fair settlement, your lawyer may advise pursuing legal action. Compensation in truck-pedestrian and truck-cyclist accidents may cover:
– Medical expenses
– Lost wages
– Pain and suffering
– Emotional distress
– Rehabilitation costs
– Long-term care expenses
Truck-pedestrian and truck-cyclist accidents are traumatic events that can have life-altering consequences. Knowing your legal rights and seeking professional legal representation are critical steps toward securing the compensation you deserve. A lawyer will guide you through the process, help establish liability, and work tirelessly to ensure you receive full and fair compensation for your injuries and losses. Remember that you do not have to face the legal complexities alone — help is available to protect your rights and seek justice. Contact an attorney near you for help if you or a loved one have been involved in an accident.